Sunday 9 December 2007

Decisions, decisions, decisions

I'm confused. I am undecided. I don't know what to do.

I bought some Rowan Scottish Tweed Aran in a shade of pinky lavender which someone I know loves, so that I can make her a scarf for Christmas. I cast on Meandering Stripes (yes, I know my scarf isn't striped) and I've done one right curve and almost all of a left curve, and I just don't think it suits this yarn.

The ones that Larry and Steffi have shown here look as if they're from a softer yarn, and I don' t think this fabric will lie properly. (What does this look like on a human? Can someone post a picture?)

I've pretty well resolved to rip this, but before I do I would like to know what pattern I am going to use instead. Should I do another Tilted Blocks? I know it looks good in a tweedy yarn. Or should I do yet another Shag? It shows off every yarn so well and I know the recipient would love it. Or is there another pattern in the book that I should consider? I want to do Drifting Pleats and some others, but I just don't think the tweed will suit them.
Comments and suggestions, please. Help me to decide.

3 comments:

- Sandi - said...

Hmmm...tricky, tricky. It looks nice to me! Have you tried using larger needles to get it to lie more like you might want it to? I don't have a modelled pic of it at the moment, but I can do one for you in the next couple of days and post it for you.

Steffi

Koko said...

I can understand your feelings. I'm now working on the Shifting Sands scarf but before I decided on it, I had been uneasy for a while if the yarn I chose was inappropriate for the scarf.

To me, your fabric is so nice! How about blocking? After blocking, most of knitted fabrics turn out so nice.

it's just nice color!
and wonderful curves appear there.

Lynne Barr said...

Wish I had one of these scarves to photograph on a person for you, but all the samples that didn't go to the publisher went to Madagascar with two Malagasy brothers that spent last winter here.

The tweedy yarns work well with Zig Zag and Twisted. Watch it Helen or you'll end up in the Guinness Book of Records for the most Shags.