Wednesday 14 November 2007

Tweedy Tilted Blocks

The second scarf I knitted from KNS was Tilting Blocks. I used a dark bluish green shade of Rowan Yorkshire Tweed, in either Aran or DK weight, which is lighter than the intended yarn but still worked very well.
It's such an easy design; I mean, I could work out from the picture how it was done, but I would never have had the idea in a million years - does that make it a simple idea or not? I don't think so.

I wish I could photograph tweed yarn like Jared does. The dark green has flecks of blue and light olive.

I think I may have miscounted and have an extra ridge on one or two of the blocks, but I decided it wasn't critical.I wanted to make it longer than prescribed so that it can be wrapped around like a skinny scarf so when I ran out of yarn I dug around in my stash to see if I had more. I found part of a ball of the same yarn in a dark greenish blue.
They look very good together (better than in the photos), close enough that one wonders if they're really two shades or if it's just the light.
If you wrap it around twice it forms elegant vandyking around your throat.

I'm very pleased with the end result. At the moment it's intended as a Christmas present for someone who loves dark green, but who knows?

I may just hang on to it (I have scarves the way some women have shoes). Or I could knit another one.

1 comment:

Wendi Dunlap said...

I like it! Especially the color of the first yarn you used.

The weird thing about this pattern is that I was messing about with a similar concept (using Kureyon) a week before I got Knitting New Scarves, but it was triangles instead of squares. It didn't look very good so I frogged it. :) Then I got the book and saw this scarf, which looks much nicer than the one I was attempting to create. :)