Tuesday 8 January 2008

Drifting Pleats

Hi everyone,

I've been enjoying seeing what what everyone is knitting from this fabulous book, and finally have enough pictures and information to post what I'm knitting.

I decided to knit Drifting Pleats in early December. When I went shopping for yarn, I had 3 factors in mind, and a fourth was adopted fairly quickly: color, drape, gauge and yardage was quickly added. I couldn't find anything that fit all of the criteria -- yardage was added because I did find a couple a balls that would have fit the first three, but there weren't enough. I decided I could sacrifice gauge and bought Blue Sky Alpaca Silk, in Garnet. The yarn is quite a lot finer than the worsted weight called for in the pattern, and I'm using US 4 needles. I figured I could make some of the width up by adding a pleat, once I got a sense of how the pleats and the drifting are achieved, an extra pleat (or two or three or four) are no big deal.

Drifting Pleats

I love this knitting.
This is knitting you have to think about, it's complex without being difficult, and it is so different from anything else I've done. Figuring this out reminds me of when I finally got how to knit stranded knitting with both hands: I had a very hard time getting it, but finally a light bulb went off and my hands suddenly knew what to do. This gives me the same feeling.

Pleats Detail
Pleat Detail with Bonus Cat Hair

I'm very much enjoying this piece of knitting genius, which for someone who has a strong dislike for making scarves, is saying something!

--Lee

2 comments:

Helen said...

That's lovely. 'Complex without being difficult' is good, it sums up some of these scarves very well.

- Sandi - said...

Faaaaaaaaaabulous colour!